21. May 2006. - Montenegrin independence referendum – 55.5% in favour.
15. October 2007. - Stabilisation and Association Agreement (SAA) signed in Luxembourg, previously inked in Podgorica on 15 March 2007.
1. November 2007. - European Commission Delegation in Podgorica launched.
13. November 2007. - Parliament of Montenegro ratifies the SAA, the interim agreement, and agreements on visa liberalisation and re-admission.
1. January 2008. - Interim Agreement on trade and related issues, Visa Liberalisation Agreement, and Readmission Agreement entered into force
15. December 2008. - Montenegro submitted a request for EU membership.
23. April 2009. - The Council requested the Commission to prepare an opinion on Montenegro's request for EU membership.
22. July 2009. - EU Enlargement Commissioner Rehn presented the Questionnaire to Prime Minister Đukanović.
30. November 2009. - European Council grants visa-free regime for Montenegrin citizens.
1. May 2010. - Stabilisation and Association Agreement (SAA) entered into force.
9. November 2010. - The European Commission adopted the Opinion on Montenegro's request to join the EU.
17. December 2010. - The European Council granted Montenegro candidate status.
12. October 2011. - The European Commission adopted the Progress Report, together with the Enlargement Strategy and Main Challenges 2011-2012, which recommended the opening of accession negotiations with Montenegro.
9. December 2011. - The European Council welcomed the Commission's assessment of the good progress made by Montenegro. With a view to opening accession negotiations with Montenegro in June 2012, the European Council tasked the Council with examining Montenegro's progress in the implementation of reforms, with a particular focus on the area of rule of law and fundamental rights, especially the fight against corruption and organised crime.
29. December 2011. - Government of Montenegro appointed the Chief Negotiator for EU accession negotiations.
2. February 2012. - Government of Montenegro adopted the Decision Establishing the Negotiating Structure for the Accession of Montenegro to the European Union.
23. May 2012. - European Commission publishes Progress Report on Montenegro and proposes member-States to start EU accession negotiations with Montenegro in June 2012.
26. June 2012. - The meeting of the Council of Ministers of Foreign and European Affairs of the European Union in Luxembourg decided to open accession negotiations between the EU and Montenegro.
29. June 2012. - EU-Montenegro Intergovernmental Conference in Brussels formally launched accession negotiations.
18. December 2012. - Official launch and provisional closing of a second negotiation chapter: Chapter 26: Science and research.
15. April 2013. - Official launch and provisional closing of a second negotiation chapter: Chapter 26: Education and culture.
27. June 2013. - Action Plans for Chapter 23: Judiciary and fundamental rights, Chapter 24: Justice, freedom, and security adopted.
27. June 2013. - Screening process for 33 negotiating chapters completed.
18. December 2013. - Intergovernmental Conference in Brussels launched negotiations in five chapters: Chapter 5: Public procurement, Chapter 6: Company law, Chapter 20: Enterprise and industrial policy, Chapter 23: Judiciary and fundamental rights, Chapter 24: Justice, freedom, and security.
26. December 2013. - Programme of Accession of Montenegro to the EU 2014-2018 adopted.
27. March 2014. - Government of Montenegro adopts Strategy for Informing the Public about Montenegro's EU Accession 2014-2018.
31. March 2014. - Intergovernmental Conference in Brussels launched negotiations in two chapters: Chapter 7: Intellectual property law, and Chapter 10: Information society and media.
24. June 2014. - Intergovernmental Conference in Brussels launched negotiations in three chapters: Chapter 4: Free movement of capital; Chapter 31: Foreign, security, and defence policy, and Chapter 32: Financial control.
8. October 2014. – European Commission publishes 2014 Progress Report for Montenegro.
4. December 2014. – Stabilisation and Association Committee session.
16. December 2014. - Intergovernmental Conference in Brussels launched negotiations in four chapters: Chapter 18: Statistics, Chapter 28: Consumer and health protection, Chapter 29: Customs union, and Chapter 33: Financial and budgetary provisions.
30. March 2015. - Intergovernmental Conference in Brussels launched negotiations in two chapters: Chapter 16 – Taxation and Chapter 30 – External relations.
22. June 2015. - Intergovernmental Conference in Luxembourg launched negotiations in two chapters: Chapter 9 – Financial services and Chapter 21 – Trans - European networks.